Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Jake's Quilt


I had several roommates while in college. Living in a dorm and even in an apartment meant close quarters and really getting to know a person. A few of those roommates I've chosen to just forget, for various reasons.  I bonded with one in particular, who was fun and outgoing, everything I wasn't but hoped to be. Over the years we went our separate ways, and time took it's toll. We will get together occasionally  and it's just like time stood still. We can laugh and talk, complain and joke. 
She was and is, in many ways, the sister I never had.

She has a son who means the world to her. When he was about to graduate from high school she attempted to make a t-shirt quilt for him. Let's just say that she had collected about 5 times the normal number of shirts that would go into a t-shirt quilt, and had tried her best to cut the squares out to piece them together. 
I think she realized she was in a little over her head. It was at that point that we met for 
lunch and I offered to put it together for her. 

It was my first attempt at a t-shirt quilt. As I  looked through the shirt panels (there had to be at least 80), I was amazed at her dedication. She had saved items from his infancy through his high school years. There were all kinds of sports shirts, scouting shirts, photo shirts, family shirts and school shirts. 
Just about every aspect of his 18 years was captured in those shirt blocks.

This is Jake.

The quilt was finished in 2005.

There are at least 50 blocks in the quilt. It is HUGE! Because there were so many blocks, 
I didn't put sashing between them. Imagine how large it would have been if I had !?! 
There were so many extra blocks I made him a very large tote to pack the quilt in. 
I think it was used as a laundry bag when he went off to college. 

I'm so glad I was able to make this quilt for Jake. 
And even though I don't see his mom as much as I would like, I hope she thinks about me.  
I will always remember her and the wonderful adventures we had in college.


No comments:

Post a Comment